Brazilian jiu jitsu is a world-renowned sport with an increasing number of people participating. Different types of people, with different professions and life choices are becoming more and more involved in this sport, which is becoming a phenomenon. Through popularization of it, everyone benefits, and jiu jitsu becomes a movement that serves people and brings them great benefits. Compared to men, women and girls are currently in the minority when it comes to training. However, things are slowly changing in that sense too, because being aware of the situation and the times we live in, everyone is looking for the best solution for themselves, and Brazilian jiu jitsu is certainly one of them. Here are five important reasons why girls and women should be a vital part of the jiu jitsu world.
- Self-defense. This one is obvious and it was probably the first reason that came to your mind. Most people in the sport agree that jiu jitsu is the best skill for women’s defense. This skill is conceptualized in a way that allows smaller and weaker people to defend themselves against much larger and more powerful opponents. This is important for women, especially if they find themselves in a situation where they have little choice. Closed Guard is a fundamental technique that provides excellent defense against a stronger opponent who tries to harm them. Every skill takes practice, but after only a few hours of jiu jitsu, girls can learn the very basics and decide if BJJ is the right choice for them.
- Jiu jitsu is a fantastic form of fitness. Probably the best possible, because through one workout you activate the complete muscular system, similar to swimming, but obviously not the same. Strength and fitness, by regular training, come on their own, which is quickly noticed. Girls will look much better with jiu jitsu training, and obtain good and balanced motor skills as well as mobility. Replacing various monotonous fitness routines with an engaging and fun activity such as BJJ will make your fitness goals much easier and much more fun to reach.
- Through practicing a sport such as Brazilian jiu jitsu, confidence comes as a reward. By learning a number of techniques that put you in a variety of situations, in addition to muscle strength, you gain mental strength as well. What happens on the mats when you have to find a way out of a bad situation, over time, reflects on life. Jiu jitsu is the reflection of the life you lead. If you defeat yourself and your opponent on the mats, confidence and safety will have a huge impact on your life outside of training.
- The jiu jitsu lifestyle is primarily a healthy lifestyle. Proper nutrition, training, socializing, sharing ideas are some of the things that shape one’s jiu jitsu life. The experiences of a large number of women are more than satisfactory. Workouts that strengthen the body, mind, heart, are great choices for each individual, and especially for women who are still trying to find solutions in less effective disciplines, or even worse, unhealthy diets that harm the body.
- Sense of community. By practicing jiu jitsu you have the opportunity to meet people of different profiles who can become your lifelong friends. You can also learn many culturally significant information about the origins of this martial art. A positive atmosphere and constant learning have therapeutic value that nothing else can replace. Jiu jitsu is like yoga and meditation in rapid movement.
If you have been making any excuses not to start practicing BJJ, well, no more of that now. Don’t be discouraged by the fact that you’ll probably be in the minority when it comes to gender ratios of the club members. You most certainly will learn valuable skills, and make valuable friendships with likeminded women and men.